Arsene Wenger is targeting a complete summer overhaul at the Emirates; Manchester United are to reward a defensive star with a new d...
Arsene Wenger is targeting a complete summer overhaul at the Emirates; Manchester United are to reward a defensive star with a new deal, while Everton are watching a £50million duo to replace Romelu Lukaku, according to Tuesday’s newspapers.
Bastian Schweinsteiger Joins MLS
Former Germany captain Bastian Schweinsteiger has quit Man Utd after agreeing to join MLS side Chicago Fire.
The player had held talks with Chicago Fire last year but decided to stay at Old Trafford beyond the end of the January window. However the MLS side would request for the player to join them immediately and with no reason to hold on to him, Man Utd agreed to part with the player.
He returned to the first-team set-up before a Europa League game against Fenerbahce in November and played his first game for the club this season in an EFL Cup win over West Ham on 30 November.
Last week, he trained with some junior members of the United squad while the remainder prepared for their Europa League game against FC Rostov.
Wenger 'To Oversee Massive Arsenal Overhaul'
Is Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger staying or going? Staying, according to the Mirror, which reports that he will be in charge for "one of the biggest shake-ups of the squad in recent times."
That shake-up will see him "likely to have to replace Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil" after a season that has seen the club humbled in the Champions League and currently adrift of the Premier League's top four.
The Mirror says Arsenal are "almost resigned" to life without Sanchez and Ozil and will back Wenger with a transfer budget of more than £100 million in the summer.
Targets on whom that money could be spent include Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette (strongly linked with Arsenal before), Monaco's in-form Kylian Mbappe, midfielders Marco Reus of Borussia Dortmund and Everton's Ross Barkley.
Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland is another potential arrival, while defensive reinforcements could include Valencia left-back Jose Luis Gaya, who is also a target for Manchester City.
Amid those possible arrivals, players potentially on their way out include Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nacho Moreal and Aaron Ramsey, the Mirror reports.
Everton Target La Liga Attacking Duo
News that Everton striker Romelu Lukaku does not intend to sign a new contract has given manager Ronald Koeman extra thinking to do as the window approaches.
The Sun reports that Koeman will look to Spain for attacking reinforcements and make a £50 million double move for Cedric Bakambu of Villarreal and Real Sociedad's Willian Jose.
It says the duo are "at the top of his list," with Bakambu having produced some excellent recent performances and Jose on 11 goals this season.
Jose's form has attracted plenty of attention, "with Goodison Park scouts among those tracking his progress this season."
Otamendi Could Be Bernabeu-Bound
Amid the talk of which players Pep Guardiola might bring to Manchester City in the summer, there hasn't been that much said about potential departures. But now the Mail suggests that defender Nicolas Otamendi might be off to Real Madrid.
It reports that Otamendi is among those under consideration as a replacement for Pepe, who is heading for Hebei China Fortune.
With Pep Guardiola in the market for a new central defender, Nicolas Otamendi could be shipped off to Real Madrid.
With Guardiola having been linked with both Athletic Bilbao's Aymeric Laporte and Virgil Van Dijk of Southampton, Otamendi could be allowed to move to the Bernabeu.
And the Mail says his agent, Jorge Mendes, "is understood to have already spoken to Madrid about the possibility."
Manchester United To Offer Rojo New Deal
Manchester United are to offer Marcos Rojo a 12-month contract extension and will sit down for talks with the versatile defender in the summer.
The 27-year-old defender’s current deal still has over two years left to run, but he’s impressed Jose Mourinho enough to earn fresh terms, with The Sun claiming a new deal is likely to take him to 2020.
The Argentine struggled to make an impact under Jose Mourinho, but has since forced his way into the first-team picture.
The paper claims his new deal will likely see his pay raised to £100,000 a week, with a club source quoted as telling the paper: “Jose has been impressed by his desire and attitude and is happy for him to stay.
“They will all sit down at the end of the season and discuss it. Rojo also has no issues with remaining.
“He does have two years left on his current money, but that will stay the same and they’ll be no increase.
“It is just to keep things comfortable for everyone. Jose likes Marcos and things are going well for them both.”
Rojo joined United in a £16million deal from Sporting Lisbon in the summer of 2014.
Arsene Wenger remains undecided over his future as Arsenal manager and will use the international break to consider his options. (London Evening Standard)
Paris St-Germain want Wenger to replace Unai Emery as their manager this summer, and have offered the Frenchman a two-year deal. (Sun)
Alternatively, Wenger is ready to commit to a new two-year deal at Emirates Stadium, and is already targeting Monaco's 18-year-old striker Kylian Mbappe and Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, 25, as the club prepares for the departures of forward Alexis Sanchez and midfielder Mesut Ozil, both 28. (Daily Mirror)
Manchester City right-back Bacary Sagna, 34, says fans at former club Arsenal should back Wenger as he remains the right manager to take the Gunners forward. (Daily Express)
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is dismayed that Wales counterpart Chris Coleman did not call him before selecting 17-year-old winger Ben Woodburn. (Guardian)
Tottenham are in a strong position to sign Everton's 23-year-old midfielder Ross Barkley this summer. (Daily Mail)
Arsenal are also tracking Barkley, with midfielders Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 23, and Jack Wilshere, 25, likely to leave the Gunners. (Daily Telegraph)
West Brom boss Tony Pulis will be offered a new contract at the end of the season. (Daily Telegraph)
Manchester United will offer Marcos Rojo a 12-month contract extension. The 27-year-old defender's deal expires in 2019. (Sun)
Liverpool are interested in signing Burnley's 24-year-old defender Michael Keane and RB Leipzig's 21-year-old striker Timo Werner. (Daily Mail)
Watford are close to agreeing a permanent deal for Tom Cleverley. The 27-year-old midfielder is on loan from Everton this season. (Daily Express)
Jose Mourinho says he is now a more mature manager, and his priority is to foster "peace and love" within the Manchester United squad. (France Football - in French)
Barcelona want Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri to replace Luis Enrique when the Spaniard steps down at the end of the season. (Premium Sport - in Italian)
Alternatively, Athletic Bilbao boss Ernesto Valverde and Enrique's assistant manager Juan Carlos Unzue are the club's preferred options. (El Pais - in Spanish)
Sunderland boss David Moyes says he started Jack Rodwell, 26, over Didier Ndong, 22, in midfield against Burnley on Saturday because he "felt the game suited more Britishness". (Sunderland Echo)
Roma's 40-year-old captain Francesco Totti has been offered a role as director at the club. (Gazzetta dello Sport - in Italian)
A Crystal Palace fan who tried to punch the Eagles' 35-year-old defender Damien Delaney during a 4-0 home defeat by Sunderland has avoided a football banning order. (Croydon Advertiser)
Manchester City are close to agreeing a partnership deal with a Uruguayan club. (Independent)
Southampton midfielder Dusan Tadic wants more respect from manager Claude Puel after being substituted in his last five games. (Sun)
Hull City's Italian defender Andrea Ranocchia, who is on loan from Inter Milan, says he has yet to see the sun since he arrived at the end of January. "It rains practically every day. I really miss pasta, too," he adds. (Gianlucadimarzio.com, via Hull Daily Mail)
Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Dave Edwards has banned himself from Twitter because he was "getting hammered" on it every week. (Express & Star)
Nice striker Mario Balotelli missed the first two minutes of his side's match with Nantes on Saturday because he had difficulty untying his laces. (Sun)