Might Cesc Fabregas finally end up at Manchester United? That’s one line from the morning’s pap...
Might Cesc Fabregas finally end up at Manchester United? That’s one line from the morning’s papers, while Wolves are hopeful of beating Liverpool to a Benfica star.
Could United Finally Land Fabregas?
Cesc Fabregas could once again become a target for Manchester United should the midfielder be deemed surplus to requirements at Chelsea this summer.
The Daily Mirror reports Jose Mourinho is keeping an eye on the Spaniard’s situation at Stamford Bridge, with incoming boss Antonio Conte said to be tracking four central midfield players.
Conte is reportedly refusing to give up on Roma’s Radja Nainggolan, while N’Golo Kante and Portugal pair Joao Mario and Andre Gomes are also on the Blues’ wishlist as they seek to strengthen their engine room.
This, according to the Mirror’s story, has put Mourinho on alert, with Fabregas remaining a favourite of the new United boss, despite the Spaniard’s less-than-impressive form over the last 18 months.
Fabregas was targeted by United three years ago when David Moyes took over, but the former Barcelona star chose instead to sign a new deal at the Nou Camp before leaving for Chelsea in a £27million deal a year later.
Negredo Nears Prem Return
Middlesbrough hope to strike a deal that will bring the Valencia forward Álvaro Negredo to the Riverside Stadium.
The newly promoted Teessiders are understood to have opened talks over the 30-year-old former Manchester City frontman as the head coach, Aitor Karanka, looks to boost the firepower at his disposal in the Premier League.
However, the negotiations are proving painstaking with Boro seeking an initial loan agreement without taking on full responsibility for the player’s existing financial package.
Discussions are understood to have been going on for some time and, though progress has been made, any deal remains distant.
The Spaniard, born in Madrid, scored 23 goals in his one season at City before returning to Spain to join Valencia, initially on loan and then in a £19m permanent switch.
Digne To Join Barcelona
Paris Saint-Germain defender Lucas Digne is set to complete a move to Barcelona, according to multiple reports.
Digne, 22, spent last season on loan at Roma, but reports say the Italian club will not take up their option to sign the left-back on a permanent basis.
L'Equipe reported that Digne would sign a five-year deal for a fee in the range of €17 million.
Digne would compete with Jordi Alba for playing time at Barcelona, with Adriano expected to leave the Camp Nou amid links to Lazio.
Digne made the France squad at Euro 2016 but did not get into a game. He started 32 games in Serie A for Roma last season, recording three goals and three assists.
Liverpool Losing Talisca Race To Wolves
Wolves have emerged as Liverpool’s shock rivals for Benfica’s £21million-rated starlet Anderson Talisca.
That is claim in The Sun, which reports that the Championship side are close to being bought by Chinese billionaire Robin Li, with Jorge Mendes said to be brokering the deal.
Mendes also represents Talisca, who is said to be impressed by Wolves, despite the fact that the £40million takeover is yet to be completed.
Red tape is said to have complicated Liverpool’s pursuit of the uncapped Brazilian playmaker, with Wolves aware that a work permit for the 22-year-old would be easier to come by in the Championship.
Li is also said to be ready to replace manager Kenny Jackett with ex-Porto boss Julen Lopetegui.
- Manchester City full-backs Pablo Zabaleta and Aleksandar Kolarov will not leave until replacements arrive. (Daily Mirror)
- Eddie Howe should be the new manager of England, Ronald Koeman has written in his column. (Daily Mirror)
- Sam Allardyce has held talks with FA boss David Gill at his home about becoming England manager. (Daily Mail)
- Tony Adams will take Thierry Henry’s place as Arsenal’s new U18s coach. (Daily Mail)
- Christian Benteke is in Liverpool limbo after West Ham and Crystal Palace baulk at £32.5m asking price. (Daily Mail)
- Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Mario Balotelli’s career at Anfield is over. (Daily Mail)
- Mamadou Sakho faces further frustration on the sidlelines with an achilles injury. (Daily Mail)
- Leicester are ready to increase their new contract offer to N’Golo Kante to about £100k a week to ward off Chelsea. (The Telegraph)
- Thierry Henry has held preliminary talks with Watford and West Ham about a coaching role alongside Sky Sports work. (The Telegraph)
- West Brom are the only club to enquire about Newcastle’s wantaway midfielder Moussa Sissoko. (Daily Star)
- Wilfried Bony is set to leave Manchester City by joining Galatasaray in £3m loan deal. (The Sun)
- Chelsea’s academy has been given Category One status after the recent graduations of players like Ruben Loftus-Cheek. (The Sun)