Real Madrid are favourites to land a midfielder who had been on Chelsea and Manchester United’s...
Real Madrid are favourites to land a midfielder who had been on Chelsea and Manchester United’s radar, while Arsenal are lining up deals for two central defenders, according to Tuesday’s newspapers.
Man United & Chelsea To Miss Out To Real Madrid For Gomes
Real Madrid have emerged as frontrunners in the race to sign Valencia’s £54m-rated midfielder Andre Gomes.
The 22-year-old Portuguese midfielder has been linked with moves to Manchester United, Barcelona and Juventus this summer, while Chelsea saw a bid for him rejected earlier this summer.
According to Marca, the player has been on Real ‘s radar for the last two years and they almost signed him from Benfica before the player joined Valencia. The Spanish paper reports that Los Blancos president Florentino Perez is preparing an offer for the midfielder – although he’s ‘not prepared’ to meet Los Che’s €65million valuation.
The report claims that although Valencia are not keen to sell their prized asset, they may find it hard to resist a bumper offer from Real Madrid.
Claims that Real Madrid will move for Gomes is also likely to leave Manchester United as the sole contenders to sign Paul Pogba from Juventus – particularly after this admission from Zinedine Zidane on Monday.
United had also been on the trail of Gomes too, but it is thought he was their back-up option should a move for Pogba fail to materialise.
Conte In Touch With Morata?
Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata is seeking answers as to where he'll fit in now that Zinedine Zidane and Los Blancos bought him back from Juventus. The answer to that question may lie away from the Santiago Bernabeu and possibly with Antonio Conte at Chelsea, according to Marca.
The report says that new Chelsea boss Conte has been in touch with Morata on an almost-daily basis and has assured him that if he made a move to Stamford Bridge, regular first-team minutes would come along with it.
Whether Real Madrid are willing to sell, and at what price, remains a huge variable and potential obstacle to a deal coming to fruition, with a reported €60 million offer from the Blues already being knocked back.
Another Marca story says there's one player with whom Zidane has apparently been crystal clear: Jese. Although the French boss said he admires the player's quality, he was quick to add that if he was a friend or family member, he'd advise the 23-year-old to leave Real in search of more regular playing time.
Arsenal Chase Central Defensive Duo
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is chasing Manchester City’s Jason Denayer and Borussia Dortmund’s Matthias Ginter, according to The Sun.
The Gunners chief is looking for a young, versatile defender who can fill into any gap across the back-four and will move for both players with the aim of signing one of them in a potential £10m-£12million swoop.
Arsene Wenger believes he can tempt Denayer from City as Pep Guardiola pursues a £38million move for Juventus and Italy star Leonardo Bonucci.
Denayer had a Euro 2016 to forget for Belgium as he was Cruyff-turned by Wales ace Hal Robson-Kanu for his wondergoal in the quarter-finals.
The 21-year-old is thought to be keen on a switch away from the Etihad in search of first-team football.
Ginter, meanwhile, has long been admired by Wenger who has been scouting him since he was a youngster at Freiburg.
The German World Cup winner can play in central defence or as a full-back and is seen as a long-term replacement for Per Mertesacker at Arsenal.
The 22-year-old is believed to be up for sale at Dortmund and has been linked with a switch to Wolfsburg.
Everton boss Ronald Koeman is targeting an ambitious move for £30m Portugal midfielder William Carvalho (Daily Mirror)
Georginio Wijnaldum wants a £25m move to Liverpool – and that could land Newcastle a £10m profit (Daily Mirror)
Liverpool could throw some players at Newcastle to drive down their asking price for Georginio Wijnaldum (Daily Star)
Leroy Sane’s dad claims Manchester City face competition from Bayern Munich and Real Madrid for the £42million-rated Schalke forward (Daily Mirror)
Diego Costa, 27, has not asked to leave Chelsea and the striker is expected to stay at Stamford Bridge this summer (London Evening Standard)
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has moved to dampen talk that Juventus will buy Gonzalo Higuain this summer (Daily Mirror)
Chelsea remain interested in Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly despite interest from Premier League rivals Everton driving up the Italian club’s asking price (The Independent)
New Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has been in daily contact with Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata, 23, assuring him of his role were he to join the Blues this summer (Marca)
Middlesbrough are on the brink of sealing the loan signing of Alvaro Negredo (Daily Mirror)
Tottenham are considering allowing Clinton N’Jie to leave White Hart Lane on loan as they finalise a deal to sign Georges-Kevin N’Koudou from Marseille (Daily Telegraph)
Winger Nathan Dyer, 28, insists he wants to stay at Swansea City despite winning the Premier League while on loan at Leicester City last season (South Wales Evening Post)
Hull City boss Steve Bruce has spoken to the Football Association as the governing body continues its search for a new England manager (Daily Telegraph)
West Ham’s long search for a striker has led them to make a new approach for Wissam Ben Yedder but they face competition from Leicester City for the Toulouse forward, with a year-long loan move for Argentinian striker Jonathan Calleri also close to completion (The Guardian)
Manchester United have asked to be kept informed of developments over Monaco right-back Fabinho (Daily Mail)
Real Madrid have ask Paul Pogba’s agent to hold fire on any Manchester United move for French star as the Spanish giants weigh up a bid (Daily Mail)
Manchester United have delayed announcing their squad numbers – until they have completed the £105m signing of Paul Pogba (The Sun)
Crystal Palace are closing in on a shock swoop for Saido Berahino. The Eagles have turned their attention to the West Brom striker after their £30m move for Liverpool’s Christian Benteke hit the buffers (The Sun)
Brazilian side Fluminense have confirmed the signing of Wellington Silva from Arsenal (Daily Express)
Arsenal look set to miss out on striker Mauro Icardi after his wife revealed that Juventus are serious contenders to secure his signature (The Sun)
Pep Guardiola is set to be beaten in his bid for Leroy Sane by former club Bayern Munich (The Sun)
Celtic are stepping up their interest in Blackburn Rovers defender Shane Duffy with winger James Forrest linked with a move in the other direction (Daily Record)
Rangers remain on course to sign forward Joe Dodoo but manager Mark Warburton admits he is now unlikely to feature against Annan (Daily Record)