Antonio Conte has a fight on his hands to keep one of his Chelsea strikers ahead of the new seaso...
Antonio Conte has a fight on his hands to keep one of his Chelsea strikers ahead of the new season, while the news gets worse for Leicester fans.
Fresh Doubts Over Costa Future
Chelsea could be forced to bring in another striker during this transfer window with the Brazilian-born Spanish international Diego Costa linked with a return to his former club Atletico Madrid by the Daily Mail.
The 27-year-old was one of the main strugglers for the Blues in their forgettable 2015/16 campaign and was snubbed by Spain for Euro 2016 as a result.
He could now kick-start his career again back at Atleti, where he scored 64 goals in 135 games before leaving to join Chelsea in £32m deal.
Speculation has been fuelled further after club president Enrique Cerezo admitted that a new striker is top of Diego Simeone’s wishlist and specifically referenced the man who helped win Atletico Madrid win the La Liga title in 2014.
Conte, who impressed at his first press conference as Chelsea manager, is said to be keen on keeping Costa for the upcoming season but a return to Atletico Madrid may prove to be too tempting.
Kante Nears Stamford Bridge Switch
Leicester midfielder N’Golo Kante is reported to have undergone a medical at Chelsea, with a £30million transfer expected to be completed over the weekend.
Numerous reports on Friday evening claimed Chelsea had agreed a deal with Leicester, despite the champions’ best efforts to keep the France workhorse at the King Power Stadium.
Kante is understood to have passed a medical at Chelsea’s Cobham base on Friday, with confirmation of the transfer likely to come in the next 48 hours.
Gotze Poised For Dortmund Return
Mario Gotze is set to end his Bayern Munich nightmare and return to Borussia Dortmund, after finding his opportunities limited at the Allianz Arena.
Liverpool and Tottenham had been heavily linked with a move for the 24-year-old, with Jurgen Klopp keen to link up with his former player once again.
Gotze emerged through the ranks at Dortmund under Klopp and scored 31 goals and supplied 44 assists in 116 matches before transferring to Bayern in 2013.
Gotze joined Bayern for £30m three years ago but has never been able to establish himself in the starting line-up and endured a difficult 2015-16 campaign, missing six months due to injury problems.
According to German newspaper Bild, a deal for Gotze has been struck to take their former starlet back to the Westfalenstadion. Christian Falk, the football editor of German publication Bild, has claimed that Dortmund will pay £23.3million to sign Gotze this summer.
Leicester Braced For Mahrez Exit
After reports emerged that midfielder N’Golo Kante is set to join Chelsea in a £30m deal, Leicester could have another key player departure on their hands.
According to The Guardian, Algerian sensation Riyad Mahrez has also rejected a new bumper deal to stay at the King Power Stadium as the PFA Player of the Year wants a new challenge following Leicester’s title win last season.
The Foxes were reportedly ready to give Mahrez a new £80,000-a-week contract, but he has told his representatives that he still wishes to find a new club this summer, with Manchester United one of many admirers throughout Europe.
This would come as a major blow for boss Claudio Ranieri, who only recently revealed that he was feeling positive about Mahrez staying with the club this season.
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola is considering up the future of keeper Joe Hart, 29, as the club weighs up a move for PSV Eindhoven’s 25-year-old custodian Jeroen Zoet (Daily Mail)
- The Football Association will approach Bournemouth in order to speak to their boss Eddie Howe, 38, over the current England manager vacancy (Daily Star)
- Dimitri Payet’s agent has denied the 29-year-old West Ham playmaker said that he would be “100%” staying with the Hammers (Daily Express)
- West Ham made former striker Carlos Tevez an offer of £150,000-a-week to return to the club but the 32-year-old will instead sign for Brazilian side Corinthians (Daily Mirror)
- Liverpool have been linked with Bayern Munich playmaker Mario Gotze but the 24-year-old is set to sign for former club Borussia Dortmund
- Crystal Palace are considering a £20m move for West Brom striker Saido Berahino, 22 (Sun)
- Atletico Nacional striker Marlos Moreno, 19, is joining Manchester City – according to the Colombia Olympic team’s boss Carlos Restrepo (Gol Caracol, via ESPN)
- Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini says his side will not be able to sign midfielder Yaya Toure, 34, from former club Manchester City (Sky Sport Italia, via Manchester Evening News)
- Ligue 1 side Marseille are set to sign Aston Villa midfielder Carlos Sanchez, 30 (Birmingham Mail)