Real Madrid have told Isco he won’t be sold to any of his Premier League suitors this summer, w...
Real Madrid have told Isco he won’t be sold to any of his Premier League suitors this summer, while Southampton are set to sign West Brom striker Saido Berahino, according to Wednesday’s papers.
Arsenal And Man City See Isco Hopes Dashed
Arsenal and Manchester City are set to be foiled in their bid to sign midfielder Isco from Real Madrid after the La Liga giants decided they want to keep him.
Both Arsenal and City had been monitoring Isco’s situation closely amid claims he could be allowed to leave.
But with no bids on the table of more than £16m – and the player valued by Real at twice that figure – coach Zinedine Zidane has decided to put an end to the rumours.
“Isco will not be leaving Real Madrid,” he said in quotes run in the Daily Star.
Real Madrid paid £24m to sign the player from Malaga in 2013 and he scored five goals with 10 assists last season.
|Wenger and Allardyce are contenders for the England job|
However he was surprisingly left out of Spain’s squad for Euro 2016, sparking suggestions he could try his luck in England.
Now he has been told he is required at the Bernabeu – and Arsenal and City will have to look elsewhere.
Saints To Win Race For Berahino
Cash-rich Southampton are set to beat the likes of Stoke and Tottenham to the signing of West Brom striker Saido Berahino, according to various reports on Tuesday.
Saints have sold Sadio Mane to Liverpool for £34million and it’s believed they are now ready to use that money in order to tempt Berahino to the south coast.
Stoke have been favourites to land the 22-year-old this summer for around £16m with Potters boss Mark Hughes a long-term admirer.
But sources close to Berahino suggest he would be open to a move to Southampton, who finished sixth last season and qualified for the Europa League.
Albion chairman Jeremy Peace refused to sell the striker during the last two transfer windows, rebuffing bids over £20m from Tottenham and Newcastle.
The Baggies are willing to let him leave this summer but do not envisage striking a deal with any club soon.
Southampton have joined Crystal Palace, Watford, and Stoke on a list of clubs interested in Berahino, but Saints are arguably now the most enticing prospect.
- The FA is considering waiting a year to appoint Arsene Wenger as Roy Hodgson’s successor, with chief executive Martin Glenn confident in the abilities of Gareth Southgate to hold the fort (Daily Express)
- The FA is expected to appoint Gareth Southgate on an interim basis before sounding out the likes of Arsène Wenger and Brendan Rodgers as the new England boss (The Guardian)
- Jamie Carragher thinks Jurgen Klinsmann is the best candidate to lead the national team (Daily Mail)
- Premier League champions Leicester City are in pole position to sign Ireland winger Robbie Brady, 24, from Norwich after “positive” talks (The Sun)
- Michy Batshuayi is set to reject a move to Crystal Palace as Marseille accept £31.6m offer with the 22-year-old being linked with a switch to Tottenham in the summer (The Independent)
- Arsenal have reportedly made a shock enquiry for Tottenham star Dele Alli, according to highly-doubtable news reports in Italy (Daily Express)
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola will try and push through moves for Everton’s England defender John Stones, 22, and Spain and Celta Vigo striker Nolito, 29, now that both players are out of Euro 2016 (Manchester Evening News)
- And Nolito, 29, is flying in for talks with City on Wednesday as he closes in on a £13.8million move (Daily Telegraph)
- Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain, 28, will not be renewing his contract with Napoli, according to his agent (Radio Continental)
- Southampton are set to out-bid Stoke in the battle to sign West Brom striker Saido Berahino, 22, by offering £16m (The Sun)
- Steve Bruce’s future as Hull City manager remains uncertain as owners the Allam family continue the search to find a buyer for the club (Daily Telegraph)
- Newcastle and Netherlands goalkeeper Tim Krul, 28, could join north-east rivals Middlesbrough, as Rafa Benitez prepares to complete a £5m deal for Gent goalkeeper Matz Sels, 24 (Daily Star)
- New Everton boss Ronald Koeman is interested in signing Poland winger Kamil Grosicki, 28. The Rennes player would be available for around £10m (Liverpool Echo)
- Former England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand is desperate for the chance to be a part of the new national team set-up (Daily Mirror)
- The fall-out from Spain’s Euro exit rumbles on with reports that Vicente del Bosque could be replaced by Joaquin Caparros or Pepe Mel (Daily Mail)
- Jose Mourinho’s quest to land Henrikh Mkhitaryan at Manchester United has moved a step closer after Borussia Dortmund admitted to receiving a ‘much improved’ offer for their midfield playmaker (Daily Mail)