Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has targeted Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey, while Liverpool have switched left-back targets. ...
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has targeted Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey, while Liverpool have switched left-back targets.
Mourinho Targets Ramsey
Wales and Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey is a transfer target for Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho, according to a report on Thursday.
The Sun claim Mourinho has targeted the Arsenal midfielder as a contingency plan should United not be able to persuade Borussia Dortmund sell Henrikh Mkhitaryan. The report claims the Wales star is rated in the £50million bracket.
Mourinho will apparently try to “wind up bitter rival” Wenger by making a move for the 25-year-old, who scored for Wales in the 3-0 thumping of Russia this week.
There is very little detail other than Mourinho is aiming for Ramsey to be “Manchester United’s answer to Frank Lampard”. Only last week the Special One reportedly wanted Phil Jones to be United’s answer for John Terry.
Ramsey is believed to have turned down the Red Devils after leaving Cardiff in 2008 in favour of a switch to Arsenal.
Liverpool Switch Defender Targets
Liverpool are reportedly interested in a move for Atletico Mineiro left-back Douglas Santos after after being priced out of a move for Ben Chilwell.
Globo Esporte claim the Reds have “asked about” the 22-year-old full-back, who is also being chased by Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Valencia.
Douglas is believed to be valued at £7.7million and Liverpool would rather pay that than the £10million-plus they are being quoted for Leicester starlet Chilwell. The Liverpool Echo reports Liverpool are ready to end their interest in Chilwell as they believe the champions’ valuation of the 19-year-old is too far away from what the Reds are prepared to pay.
And now left-back Santos, who joined Mineiro from Udinese in July 2015 for £2.3million, is the club’s new target although he is under contract with the Brazilian side until the summer of 2018.
Liverpool Make Pogba Contact
Acording to Paul Pogba’s agent, Liverpool are one of a handful of clubs he has held discussions about his client with. With the player looking a near certainty to end up at Real Madrid, though, it’s probably best that nobody get too excited about a couple of conversations in the past tense.
"It’s not a secret," Mino Raiola, also the agent for struggling Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli, who spent the past season on loan at AC Milan, told the Italian press today when asked about Pogba’s future. "Every year I meet with Madrid, but also with United and City, Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea. That’s my job."
It’s hard to imagine those Pogba talks going very far given Liverpool’s lack of Champions League football heading into next season. Even if they had secured qualification, though, it’s nearly impossible to imagine a deal for the 23-year-old rising star would actually have been on the table given what he will cost.
- Manchester City will follow up their move for Celta Vigo’s 29-year-old Spain striker Nolito by offering £30m for Schalke’s Germany forward Leroy Sane, 20. (Daily Mail)
- Ryan Giggs is set to leave Manchester United for his first managerial role, ending a 29-year association with the Old Trafford club. (Daily Mail)
- Tottenham have agreed a £12m deal for Roma’s 20-year-old Paraguay forward Antonio Sanabria.(Gazzetta dello Sport)
- Liverpool are considering making a move for Sadio Mane, with Southampton valuing their 24-year-old Senegal forward at £25m. (Daily Express)
- Chelsea have opened talks with Real Madrid over Alvaro Morata, and Blues owner Roman Abramovich watched the 23-year-old Spain forward play in Bordeaux on Tuesday.(Telegraph)
- West Ham United are preparing a £15m bid for Juventus and Italy striker Simone Zaza, 24.(Guardian)
- Liverpool are prepared to sell 26-year-old Wales midfielder Joe Allen for £10m.(Telegraph)
- Arsenal have begun new contract talks with right-back Hector Bellerin, 20. (Sport)
- Inter Milan want to sign Manchester City’s 31-year-old Argentina right back Pablo Zabaleta.(Sun)
- West Ham’s 17-year-old midfielder Reece Oxford has been offered a £20,000-a-week contract by Bundesliga club Red Bull Leipzig.(Sky Sports)
- West Brom are interested in signing 24-year-old winger Andros Townsend from Newcastle and are prepared to sell winger Callum McManaman, 25.(Express and Star)
- Burnley have turned down a £15m bid from Leicester for defender Michael Keane, 23, and would like to sign Stoke’s 30-year-old midfielder Charlie Adam.(Lancashire Telegraph)
- Bayern Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti described the signing of 17-year-old Norwegian forward Martin Odegaard when he was Real Madrid manager as “a marketing exercise”.(AS)
- Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta, 32, says he was set to take Spain’s penalty against Croatia before Real Madrid’s 30-year-old defender Sergio Ramos insisted he take it instead and missed.(Mundo Deportivo)
- Watford have offered to double 27-year-old forward Troy Deeney’s wages to fend off interest from Premier League champions Leicester City. (Telegraph)
- Cesar Azpilicueta is wanted by former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho for a summer move to Manchester United – but both Paris Saint-Germain and Athletic Bilbao are also keen on the Spaniard. (Mirror)
- Leicester have made a move for Brazilian forward Eduardo Sasha, say reports in Brazil. (Mirror)
- West Ham have gone back for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette – and are ready to pay £30m. (Mirror)
- Juventus are set to battle Tottenham and West Ham for the signature of Michy Batshuayi. (Star)