Nemanja Matic has told Chelsea he wants to leave for Manchester United, while Leicester have bid for a former target and a man they fee...
Nemanja Matic has told Chelsea he wants to leave for Manchester United, while Leicester have bid for a former target and a man they feel can replace N’Golo Kante in their engine room, according to Wednesday’s papers.
Matic To Push For Man Utd Transfer
Nemanja Matic has told Antonio Conte he wants to leave Chelsea this summer and link up with former boss Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, according to The Sun.
Mourinho brought the Serb back to Stamford Bridge during his second spell with the Blues and is hoping to sign him again this summer.
Despite playing a key part in 2015’s title win, Matic was one of the team’s biggest underperformers when Mourinho was sacked last year.
Mourinho is actually a big fan of the defensive midfielder. Matic was one of the few Chelsea players to speak out in support of the Portuguese tactician after he was fired.
And alongside skipper John Terry, Matic was the only other player Mourinho had a decent relationship with when Roman Abramovich wielded the axe in December. The Special One is now keen on a reunion at Old Trafford as he seeks a huge summer overhaul, and the feeling is mutual.
|Oscar and Mikel Obi are expected to leave Chelsea|
Incoming Chelsea head coach Conte has held talks with a number of disillusioned stars including Eden Hazard and Diego Costa, and Matic has already told the Italian he wants out.
Chelsea’s stance on the star is unknown, with Conte open to some high-profile departures this summer.
Oscar and John Obi Mikel look likely to leave, with Loic Remy’s future also in the air.
But Mourinho has cash to burn after inheriting a £200million transfer kitty, with Matic’s team-mate Willian a £60m target.
Chelsea have no intention of selling their Player of the Year to their league rivals and will instead look to extend his current contract which expires in 2018.
Foxes Make £8m Move For Kante Replacement
Leicester have made an £8m offer for Nice midfielder Nampalys Mendy, 23, as they prepare for the possible departure of 25-year-old N’Golo Kante.
The 23-year-old was on Claudio Ranieri’s list of targets last summer and has been back in focus in recent months claims the Daily Mail as they prepare for the possible sale of Kante, who is being chased by Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG.
Mendy is a deep lying defensive midfielder who has an eye for a pass. He has been followed by Manchester United and Arsenal in recent seasons and Ranieri was impressed by him while coaching Monaco in the French league.
Nice have been holding out for £12m for Mendy but the player is keen to push the move through and the Foxes are hopeful of striking a deal, before reluctantly allowing Kante – who has a £20m release clause in his contract – to leave.
- Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan would consider a move to Chelsea even though his preference is to remain with the Serie A club (The Sun)
- Tottenham hope to complete the £12m signing of 21-year-old AZ Alkmaar striker Vincent Janssen, the top scorer in the Dutch Eredivisie last season (Daily Mirror)
- Manchester United have joined Chelsea in the race to sign Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci (The Sun)
- Paris Saint-Germain will appoint Sevilla boss Unai Emery as their new manager, with the 44-year-old set to replace Laurent Blanc (Marca)
- Manchester City will smash the British transfer record when they sign Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for a fee over £60m
- Everton will refuse to sell John Stones for the second successive summer with Manchester City’s new boss Pep Guardiola keen to sign the England defender (Daily Mirror)
- Arsenal are set to offer full-back Hector Bellerin a new contract to stave off interest from Barcelona (Daily Mirror)
- Arsenal have made a £25m bid for Leicester forward Riyad Mahrez, 25, after several meetings with his representatives. (Tancredi Palmeri, via Daily Express)
- Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is preparing a £30m offer for 24-year-old Southampton forward Sadio Mane. (Sun)
- Klopp's presence at Argentina's Copa America game against Chile on Monday was not part of an attempt to sign 28-year-old Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain. (Liverpool Echo)
- Everton will tell centre-back John Stones they will not sell him, despite the 22-year-old being ready to push for a move. (Daily Mirror)
- Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 26, wants to leave following their relegation to the Championship and says Arsenal are "the club of my heart". (Foot Mercato via Evening Standard)
- Bristol City want to sign 27-year-old Bournemouth midfielder Lee Tomlin, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Ashton Gate, on a £3m permanent deal. (Bristol Post)
- Premier League newcomers Middlesbrough have turned down the chance to sign 31-year-old Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel, who is now set to join Besiktas. (Northern Echo)
- Aston Villa boss Roberto di Matteo wants to sign a striker and may move for Dwight Gayle if Crystal Palace make the 25-year-old available. (Birmingham Mail)
- Memphis Depay has sent £350,000 worth of supercars back to the Netherlands as doubts continue to swirl about his future at Manchester United (Daily Mirror)
- Manchester United will wait until July to sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic because of a £4m loyalty bonus he will receive if he stays until the end of his contract (Daily Star)
- Jamie Vardy is set to snub a move to Arsenal and stay with Leicester City, where he will also sign a new deal (Daily Star)
- Leicester trio Wes Morgan, Kasper Schmeichel and Robert Huth have told striker Jamie Vardy, 29, to turn down a move to Arsenal (Daily Telegraph)
- Jurgen Klopp is interested in bringing Nuri Sahin back to Liverpool from Borussia Dortmund. Sahin failed to impress in a loan spell at Anfield in 2012-13 (Daily Star)
- Aston Villa boss Roberto di Matteo wants to sign a striker and may move for Dwight Gayle if Crystal Palace make the 25-year-old available (Birmingham Mail)
- Everton hope to unveil Ronald Koeman as their new manager on Wednesday after sealing a compensation deal with Southampton
- Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo is confident manager Diego Simeone will stay with the club (Daily Mail)
- Chelsea are unlikely to make a summer move for Germany defender Antonio Rudiger after he injured knee ligaments. Rudiger, who recently joined Roma after a successful loan spell, is likely to be out for six months (Daily Express)
- Middlesbrough have reportedly passed on the chance to sign Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel (Daily Express)
- Tottenham are in talks to sign Palermo striker Franco Vazquez, although the £19.5m-rated player is also a target for Manchester United (Daily Express)
- Antonio Conte will not be offering Brazil striker Alexandre Pato a permanent deal at Chelsea (Daily Express)
- Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta has emerged as a summer target for Athletic Bilbao (Daily Express)
- Ronald Koeman will have talks with Ross Barkley over a new deal and try to persuade John Stones to stay once he is confirmed as Everton’s new manager (Daily Telegraph)