Manchester United have made a couple of approaches to Barcelona over Lionel Messi, while Manchester City haven’t been put off Jack Wils...
Manchester United have made a couple of approaches to Barcelona over Lionel Messi, while Manchester City haven’t been put off Jack Wilshere.
United Make Messi Move
Manchester United have approached Barcelona over the prospect of signing Lionel Messi.
That is the claim from the Daily Mail, which says United have contacted Barca twice in the last three weeks to explore the feasibility of bringing the Argentina star to Old Trafford.
The paper claims any move would likely wait until next summer, by which time United hope to be back in the Champions League, when Messi has only a year remaining on his contract at the Nou Camp.
United have consistently chased the world’s biggest names over the last three years, with Gareth Bale, Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo all pursued to no avail.
Injuries Haven’t Put City Off Wilshere
Manchester City are again being linked with a move for Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere.
The Sun report that Pep Guardiola is keen to bring the injury-plagued England international to the Etihad to bolster a midfield that has already been strengthened by the signing of Ilkay Gundogen.
City wanted Wilshere last year before he broke his leg in pre-season. The 24-year-old has not completed 90 minutes in the Premier League since September 2014.
The Saints Go Marching Out Of Southampton?
Southampton are likely to face another exodus of their top stars should Ronald Koeman leave this summer.
The manager is understood to be willing to listen to Everton’s offer, with his agent reportedly having travelled to Merseyside on Thursday.
Should Koeman quit after two years at St Mary’s, a host of the Saints’ big names are set to follow him out of the door, according to The Sun. Victor Wanyama and Shane Long are both said to be wanted by Tottenham, while Graziano Pelle is also likely to return to Italy.
Doubts would also arise over the future of Jordy Clasie, while the paper says in-demand Sadio Mane could use Koeman’s exit to force a move to a bigger club.
England goalkeeper Fraser Forster has also been the subject of interest from elsewhere in the Premier League. The Saints faced exactly this situation two years ago when Mauricio Pochettino left the club, with the likes of Luke Shaw, Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Loven also being sold.
Zlatan Poised For Old Trafford Switch
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has reportedly agreed to join Manchester United on a one-year deal and an announcement could be made before Euro 2016.
According to Sky Sports sources, Jose Mourinho is keen to reunite with Sweden’s all-time top goalscorer having worked together at Inter Milan and the 34-year-old is said to have rejected lucrative offers from several Chinese clubs to play in the Premier League next season at Old Trafford.
‘Ibra’ has been teasing the media for weeks as to where his next destination will be after letting his contract with PSG run down, and will now try to add a Premier League winners’ medal to his glistening collection having won La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and Dutch Eredivisie titles during his illustrious career.
- Real Madrid will again make a move to sign Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea this summer, but new Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho is determined to keep the 25-year-old at Old Trafford. (AS)
- Spaniard De Gea has assured Manchester United's supporters that he is staying at the club to work under "winner" Mourinho. (Daily Mirror)
- Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wants to sign Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic, 26, as he sets about reinforcing his team's spine. (Manchester Evening News)
- Everton want to conclude a deal to make Southampton manager Ronald Koeman their new boss within the next 24 hours. (De Telegraaf - in Dutch)
- The Saints are facing an exodus of players with midfielder Victor Wanyama and strikers Shane Long and Graziano Pelle set to follow Ronald Koeman out of St Mary's. (Sun)
- Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, 31, is wanted by at least two Turkish clubs this summer, including title-winners Besiktas. (Liverpool Echo)
- Chelsea could turn to Liverpool striker Christian Benteke, 25, as a cut-price Plan B if they fail to re-sign Romelu Lukaku, 23, from Everton this summer. (Daily Mail)
- Chelsea are preparing an offer for Lazio's Italian international winger Antonio Candreva, 29. (Il Tempo - in Italian)
- Barcelona have joined Chelsea and Manchester City in the race to sign 21-year-old Atletico Madrid defender Jose Gimenez. (Talksport)
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany, 30, has been assured of his Manchester City future - despite manager Pep Guardiola targeting central defenders Aymeric Laporte, 22, of Athletic Bilbao and Everton's John Stones, 22. (Manchester Evening News)
- Stoke have won the race to sign £10m-rated Norwich winger Nathan Redmond, 22, who is refusing to sign a new contract at Carrow Road. (Daily Mirror)
- Sunderland have lodged an £11m bid for West Ham striker Diafra Sakho, 26. (Sun)