John Stones has rejected a move to Barcelona as a move to Manchester City draws closer, while M...
John Stones has rejected a move to Barcelona as a move to Manchester City draws closer, while Manchester United will offer Matteo Darmian in a sweetener for Paul Pogba, according to Friday’s newspapers.
United Offer Darmian Sweetener For Pogba
Manchester United will offer defender Matteo Darmian to Juventus as part of a proposed deal for Paul Pogba.
The Sun claim Jose Mourinho is desperate to add the France international to his squad this summer.
A £60m bid was reportedly launched last week to bring the 23-year-old back to Old Trafford after being sold by the Red Devils in 2012. Juve have enquired about the possibility of signing Darmian and Mourinho is prepared offload the right-back.
United signed the Italian last summer from Torino in a deal worth £12m. Darmian made an impressive start for the Red Devils, scooping the club’s August Player of the Month.
His form dipped though and by the end of the campaign Antonio Valencia became first-choice at right-back.
Pogba has made 124 appearances for Juventus, scoring 28 goals and winning Serie A on four occasions. The 23-year-old is currently on international duty with France as they prepare to kick-off Euro 2016 against Romania tomorrow night.
Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea have all been linked with Pogba in the pastbut Mourinho seems determined to add midfielder to his ranks this summer.
Stones Rejects Barcelona As Man City Move Draws Closer
England defender John Stones has turned down a move to Barcelona – who now believe he will join Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.
According to the Daily Mail, Barcelona met the Everton defender’s agent Paul Martin last week, offering £90,000 a week plus bonuses for trophies won, but the offer was rejected.
Barca have been following Stones since 2014 and were not put off by his drop in form last season but they have a crippling wage bill weighed down by the huge salaries of Neymar and Lionel Messi.
Stones’ pace and two-footed ability on the ball had convinced them that he could be a long-term replacement for Javier Mascherano but Martin is understood to have made it clear their offer was considerably lower than those the 22-year-old has on the table from other Premier League suitors.
Barcelona also believe their former coach Guardiola wants Stones and that even if City sign Athletic Bilbao defender Aymeric Laporte, it would not put them off trying to sign Stones too.
The La Liga side had hoped footballing reasons would tempt Stones to La Liga but the prospect of working with Guardiola means he will not be moving to Spain.
- Adam Lallana and Raheem Sterling will start for England against Russia on Saturday, with Wayne Rooney in midfield (Daily Mirror)
- New Man United boss Jose Mourinho wants to take 29-year-old Portugal international Nani back to Old Trafford. The Fenerbahce winger has a £6.3m release clause (DHA)
- Manuel Pellegrini is reportedly on the verge of being named the new AC Milan manager (The Sun)
- Real Madrid are no longer interested in Manchester United and Spain goalkeeper David de Gea, 25 (Marca)
- Striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 34, has been told by Sweden boss Erik Hamren to delay confirmation of his move to Manchester United until after Euro 2016.
- Arsene Wenger has fuelled speculation that N’Golo Kante could join Arsenal by piling praise on the Leicester midfielder ahead of Euro 2016 (Daily Mirror)
- Chelsea full-back Cesar Azpilicueta, 26, is a target for Barcelona following the departure of 33-year-old Dani Alves (Daily Telegraph)
- Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins says the club are interested in re-signing Wales midfielder Joe Allen, 26, from Liverpool (South Wales Evening Post)
- West Brom want striker Saido Berahino, 22, to stay despite interest from Tottenham and Stoke (Daily Mirror)
- Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp wants striker Mario Balotelli to attend the club’s pre-season training after AC Milan decided not to sign the 25-year-old (Gazetta dello Sport)
- Man United join Arsenal and Juventus in race for £25m Borussia Dortmund star Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Daily Mail)
- Chelsea target Kalidou Koulibaly, 24, says “big clubs” want to sign him after his contract talks with Napoli stalled (L’Equipe)
- West Brom could move for Brighton centre-half Lewis Dunk, 24, if 27-year-old Wales international James Chester, 27 leaves this summer (Birmingham Mail)
- Inter Milan will bid for 33-year-old Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure after being bought by Chinese investors (Manchester Evening News)
- Real Madrid are ready to offer Isco to Juventus in a bid to see off Premier League competition and land France midfielder Paul Pogba (Daily Mail)
- Jamie Vardy is leaning towards rejecting a move to Arsenal in favour of staying at Leicester City (The Independent)
- England are in for a sleepless night ahead of their Euro 2012 opener, thanks to 80,000 fans partying at a fan park nearby (Daily Star)
- Leicester are ready to up the ante in a bid to land Troy Deeney after having a £15m offer rejected by Watford (Daily Express)
- New Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has told Brazilian midfielder Oscar that he wants him to stay at Stamford Bridge (Daily Express)