Manchester United’s pursuit of Paul Pogba could turn into an £80million dogfight, while Barcelona are tracking a United full-back. ...
Manchester United’s pursuit of Paul Pogba could turn into an £80million dogfight, while Barcelona are tracking a United full-back.
United In £80m Pogba ‘Dogfight’
Manchester United are in an £80million “dogfight” with Real Madrid for Paul Pogba, according to The Sun.
United are the first club to meet Juventus’ valuation of the player, say the tabloid, while new boss Jose Mourinho has spoken to the France midfielder directly to persuade him to move to Old Trafford.
And Pogba is reported to have been impressed with Mourinho’s ambition, but the 23-year-old has “reservations” about returning to the club he left four years ago.
United’s owners the Glazers are believed to be chasing a stellar summer signing and by upping their £60million offer to £80million they think Pogba could be the man to revive their fortunes next season.
However, a “dogfight” as The Sun refer to is highly unlikely as Real have yet to make a bid for the player despite the player’s agent, Mino Raiola, meeting with officials of Spanish giants.
Pogba is believed to be waiting for Madrid to make a firm offer and if that is anywhere near the £80million that Juve are chasing then Pogba will be heading to the Bernabeu and United will be left in the lurch.
Barca Tracking United Right-Back Darmian
Barcelona are tracking Manchester United defender Matteo Darmian, according to reports in Italy.
Tuttomercatoweb report that Barca’s director of international football, Ariedo Braida, is pushing for a move for Darmian, who has not yet been assured of his future by Mourinho.
Tuttosport recently claimed that Mourinho was pushing the Italy full-back towards a move to Juventus with reports claiming he wasn’t keen on the 26-year-old right-back.
Earlier this month The Sun reported that United were prepared to offer Darmian as a makeweight in a deal to sign Paul Pogba.
Darmian insisted in April that he had no desire to leave the Premier League, but ultimately if Mourinho wants him out the full-back will be going like it or not.
- Real Madrid forward James Rodriguez, 24, has been told he can leave the Champions League winners for Manchester United but only if the Old Trafford side are willing to part with £50m. (Daily Mirror)
- Manchester City are preparing an official bid for 22-year-old Everton defender John Stones. (Daily Express)
- Everton are hopeful a £75m price tag on Romelu Lukaku will ward off suitors for the 23-year-old striker. (Daily Express)
- Lukaku has said he is leaving his agent to deal with his future. The Belgium international has been linked with a return to Chelsea. (Sky Sports)
- Everton’s majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri is determined to keep striker Lukaku, and is prepared to offer him a £100,000-a-week contract to do so. (Telegraph)
- AC Milan have put West Ham and Leicester on alert by putting £21m-rated striker Carlos Bacca on the market now they have signed Gianluca Lapadula from Pescara. (Daily Express)
- Tottenham have made contact with Roma over a move for £11.5m-rated Tony Sanabria, according to the striker’s agent. (Tuttomercatoweb)
- Barcelona will announce the signing of Samuel Umtiti from Lyon ‘in the next few weeks’. The France defender, 22, has been linked with Tottenham and West Ham. (The Sun)
- Norwich winger Nathan Redmond will sign for Southampton next week in an £11m deal. (The Sun, Telegraph)
- Porto are interested in bringing Eliaquim Mangala back from Manchester City. The Frenchman became the most expensive defender in British history when signing for City for £42m in 2014. (The Sun)
- West Brom are in talks with Palermo over a £14m move for attacking midfielder Franco Vazquez, 27, who is valued by his club at £19m. (Calcionews24)
- Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane says West Ham playmaker Dimitri Payet, 29, “would improve any side in Europe”. (Daily Mirror)
- New Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has telephoned struggling England forward Raheem Sterling, 21. Sterling was booed by sections of England’s fans in the 2-1 win over Wales and did not feature in the draw against Slovakia .(Guardian)
- Manchester City target Nolito, 29, told Spain’s Radio Marca: “For now, I haven’t signed with City, but I won’t lie so we’ll see.”(Radio Marca)
- Sunderland, Manchester United, Everton and Southampton are all chasing Turkey international Ozan Tufan, 21. (Chronicle)
- Barcelona and Luis Enrique will attempt to sign Sevilla striker Kevin Gameiro once they have secured Neymar’s future at the Nou Camp. (Daily Mail)
- Leicester are expected to conclude the £13m signing of Nampalys Mendy next week after the 24-year-old Nice midfielder visited the club’s training ground. (Daily Mail)
- Watford are the latest club to join the hunt for Newcastle and England winger Andros Townsend, 24. (Daily Mirror)
- Championship side Reading are closing in on Heerenveen midfielder Joey van den Berg, 30. (GetReading)
- Everton are interested in Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul. Ronald Koeman is expected to put a new No.1 at the top of his transfer wish-list this summer following Tim Howard’s exit. (Daily Mirror)
- Leicester are ready to test Burnley’s resolve with an improved bid for Michael Keane. (Daily Mirror)
- Bournemouth are ready to leapfrog Crystal Palace in the race to sign Brighton defender Lewis Dunk. (Daily Mirror)
- Arsenal are putting together a £23m bid for Sporting Lisbon striker Islam Slimani after being snubbed by Jamie Vardy. (Daily Star)
- Liverpool are in line to be taken over by Chinese investors following the Brexit vote, according to an expert. (Daily Star)
- Manchester United full-back Matteo Darmian. who is a target for Juventus and Barcelona, admits he has not talked to Jose Mourinho about his Old Trafford future. (Daily Star)
- Leicester’s owners have set up a £50m warchest in a desperate bid to hang on to their star players. (Daily Star)