Liverpool are close to agreeing a £9million deal for one of Jurgen Klopp’s long-term targets, w...
Liverpool are close to agreeing a £9million deal for one of Jurgen Klopp’s long-term targets, while Manchester United’s hand might be forced after PSG emerged as frontrunners for managerial target Jose Mourinho, according to Tuesday morning’s papers.
Liverpool Close In On Zielinski
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is expected to seal a £9million deal for Polish midfielder Piotr Zielinski this week.
Reports in his homeland from Canal Plus have suggested Liverpool have agreed the transfer with Udinese for the 21-year-old.
The Poland international midfielder, who has impressed during a season on loan at Empoli, will apparently be confirmed as a Reds player on Wednesday.
Zielinski is under contract with the Italian club until 2018 and has scored five goals in 35 Serie A appearances this season.
PSG Emerge As Mourinho Frontrunners
Jose Mourinho is in talks with Paris Saint-Germain and could move to the French champions unless Manchester United act quickly.
Mourinho is the prime contender to replace Louis van Gaal should United sack the Dutchman after Saturday’s FA Cup final.
But Mourinho, 53 wants a deal agreed by next week and unless United make their move quickly they could miss out on the Portuguese, according to the Daily Mail.
The former Chelsea manager views replacing Laurent Blanc at PSG as an excellent opportunity, especially given the vast sums of transfer cash the club can offer him.
Blanc’s position was thought to be safe having signed a contract extension earlier this year.
However, the club’s failure to make it past the Champions League quarter-finals has forced president Nasser Al-Khelaifi into a rethink.
Mourinho’s Champions League pedigree makes him the obvious candidate to replace Blanc should they decide to replace the Frenchman.
- Manchester United checked on Leroy Sane and Joao Mario at the weekend but Schalke have denied reports Sane has a buyout clause of £28m and say he is worth closer to £40m as they look to deter suitors (Daily Mail)
- Manchester United have made Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 34, a formal offer of a one-year contract with the option of an extra season (RMC)
- Arsene Wenger says Stan Kroenke is ready to invest “as much money as we want” to rebuild Arsenal, with Leicester’s N’Golo Kante among three players targeted (Daily Mirror)
- And in that vein, Arsenal are closing in on a £33.8m deal for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka and hope to announce it well before Euro 2016 kicks off (Daily Mirror)
- Napoli’s Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain, 28, who has been linked with Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea, wants to lower the release clause in his contract from £72m to £47m (Gazetta dello Sport)
- Manchester United look like they have missed out on Valencia’s Portugal midfielder Andre Gomes, 22, who is thought to be on his way to Italian champions Juventus (The Sun)
- Liverpool are confident of completing a £4.7m deal for Mainz’s Germany U21 international goalkeeper Loris Karius (Daily Mirror)
- Bournemouth have rejected a £25m bid from West Ham for striker Callum Wilson, 24, and midfielder Matt Ritchie, 26 (Sky Sports)
- West Ham will activate an £8m release clause for Newcastle’s England winger Andros Townsend, 24, and also hope to sign Netherlands midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, 25, from the Magpies (Daily Star)
- But Townsend could stay at Newcastle as they prepare for life in the Championship, according to his father (Newcastle Chronicle)
- Antoine Griezmann will snub Manchester United and Chelsea to sign a new deal at Atletico Madrid (Daily Mirror)
- Roberto Firmino has urged Bayern Munich’s Germany international Mario Gotze to join him at Liverpool this summer
- David de Gea is giving new thought to his future at Manchester United because of his deteriorating relationship with manager Louis van Gaal (The Guardian)
- Liverpool could face competition from Atletico Madrid for the signing of young midfielder Thomas Lemar from Monaco (Daily Star)