Pep Guardiola has shortlisted 8 players he would like to have in his new City line up, while Eden Hazard is the latest name to be linke...
Pep Guardiola has shortlisted 8 players he would like to have in his new City line up, while Eden Hazard is the latest name to be linked with Manchester United, according to Friday’s newspapers.
Pep Makes His Man City Wish List
While Jose Mourinho's protracted appointment at Manchester United has dominated headlines this week, Pep Guardiola has already quietly set to work at rivals Manchester City. The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss has reportedly told his new employers that he wants as many as eight new starters if they are to challenge for top honours with him at the helm.
A host of major names are given as targets by the Mirror, including Ilkay Gundogan, Aymeric Laporte, Leroy Sane, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, John Stones, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Danny Rose.
And an influx of new arrivals could lead to a mass clearing out of talent at the Etihad, with Joe Hart and Raheem Sterling among the players whose future is uncertain. Apparently Guardiola only sees Sergio Aguero, Kevin De Bruyne, Fernandinho and possibly Vincent Kompany as "ideal starters" in his vision for the club.
Barcelona Enter Race For Bellerin
Following news Dani Alves could be on his way from Barcelona to Juventus comes speculation about who the Liga champions will line up to replace him, with the Mirror claiming Arsenal's Hector Bellerin is one of three targets.
Bellerin, 21, made Arsenal's right-back spot his own with consistently impressive performances last season and was named in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year, to boot. Crucially, though, he is from Barcelona and came through their youth system before joining the Gunners in 2011.
Hector Bellerin's performances at Arsenal during the past two seasons have drawn the attentions of boyhood club Barcelona.
Although Bellerin is cited as Barca's top choice to replace Alves, Valencia's 21-year-old Portuguese starlet Joao Cancelo and Sevilla's Mariano are two other options for the Catalans, giving Arsenal fans some hope they could hold on to one of their most promising talents, at least for a little while longer.
Mourinho Wants Hazard At United
Jose Mourinho wants to bring Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard to Manchester United, according to reports in Italy, and as covered in the Daily Express.
The Belgian has been heavily linked with a move away from Chelsea in recent months after a disappointing season in west London.
According to Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli, Mourinho has spoken directly with Hazard over a reunion at Old Trafford.
Hazard wants to leave Stamford Bridge and Mourinho has spoken directly to him. This is what has happened. #cfc #mufc— Emanuele Giulianelli (@EmaGiulianelli) May 26, 2016
Earlier on he suggested that a bid between £65million and £75m could be offered to prise him away from Chelsea.
He tweeted: “Mourinho wants Hazard from Chelsea at Manchester United. £65 mln offer could reach £75 mln. First contact with his entourage ok. #mufc #cfc.” Hazard scored six goals for the Blues last season and is under contract until 2020.
- Tottenham have opened negotiations with Basel forward Breel Embolo, 19, after he scored 21 goals in 61 leagues appearances (Daily Express)
- Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has postponed contract talks for a second time and the 27-year-old says he is unwilling to discuss signing a new deal until after Euro 2016 (The Times)
- Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, 24, says he will remain at Stamford Bridge next season, despite interest from Real Madrid and Paris St-Germain (Daily Express)
- Southampton manager Ronald Koeman is eyeing a swoop for Atalanta’s teenage Ivory Coast international centre-back Franck Kessie (The Sun)
- Swansea have made a move for AZ Alkmaar’s attacking midfielder Markus Henriksen, 23, who is valued at £6m by the Dutch club (South Wales Evening Post)
- Diego Simeone will snub interest from the Premier League to see out his contract with Atletico Madrid (The Sun)
- Barcelona full-back Dani Alves, 33, is expected to announce he is joining Serie A champions Juventus on a free transfer signing three-year deal (Daily Mirror)
- Everton are planning an offer to tempt Arsenal legend Marc Overmars – the director of football at Ajax – back into English football (Daily Express)
- The agent of Martin Skrtel says the 31-year-old defender is “90% sure to leave Liverpool” this summer with Turkish side Besiktas a possible destination (ESPN)
- Chelsea will block any attempts by Mourinho to sign Brazilian midfielder Willian, 27, who has been linked with a £60m move to the Red Devils (London Evening Standard)
- Liverpool and Wales midfielder Joe Allen, 26, who has been linked with Swansea, says if any interested clubs want to talk to him, he is “not going to pie them” (The Sun)
- Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Mario, 23, says he is focused on playing for Portugal at Euro 2016 after reported interest from Manchester United and Chelsea (Daily Express)
- Piotr Zielinski’s proposed move to Liverpool from Udinese is in danger of collapsing, the Poland international midfielder’s agent has revealed (Daily Star)
- Man City midfielder Yaya Toure, 33, has rejected offers of £30m from two Chinese Super League clubs and is also not interested in joining Serie A side Inter Milan (The Guardian)
- Raheem Sterling, signed from Liverpool for £47m, is fearing for his Man City future under Pep Guardiola due to a crisis of confidence (Daily Mirror)
- Chelsea are confident of beating competition from Manchester United to resign their former striker Romelu Lukaku from Everton (Daily Mirror)
- Gary Cahill has become another injury worry for England after it emerged he needs painkilling injections to allow him to play (Daily Mirror)
- Roberto Di Matteo is set to be given the task of rebuilding relegated Aston Villa (Daily Mirror)
- Roma have joined West Ham in the pursuit of Newcastle star Georginio Wijnaldum, with his agent confirming the player has to think about his future (Daily Mail)
- Liverpool are considering a summer approach for Dinamo Zagreb’s Ante Coric, with Chelsea and Manchester City also in the race for the Croatia Under-21 international midfielder (Daily Mail)