Manchester United have been linked with a host of new players as Jose Mourinho prepares to take...
Manchester United have been linked with a host of new players as Jose Mourinho prepares to take charge, while Ilkay Gundogan is set for Manchester City.
Mourinho’s Man Utd Targets
Jose Mourinho has identified André Gomes, João Mário, John Stones, Álvaro Morata, Mauro Icardi and Ezequiel Garay as targets for Manchester United, according to The Guardian, ahead of an expected summer spend of at least £150million.
United are expected to confirm Mourinho as Louis van Gaal’s replacement this week, but the former Chelsea boss has long had a list of potential acquisitions drawn up, with help from his agent Jorge Mendes, who represents most of the players on Mourinho’s wish list.
Valencia’s Portugal midfielder Gomes, 22, would cost around £40million, it is said, while Sporting and Portugal midfielder João Mário, 23, would cost at least £27million. Mourinho’s interest in the pair suggests Bastian Schweinsteiger’s future at Old Trafford is under threat, but Michael Carrick is apparently now willing to stay, albeit as a bit-part player.
Zenit Saint Petersburg centre-back Garay, 29, previously played under Mourinho at Real Madrid but may be a back-up target in case United lose out on Stones, who is also apparently wanted by Manchester City.
Morata, meanwhile, would cost around £40million as Real Madrid are expected to activate their £23.6million buyback clause from Juventus and then sell the 23-year-old on at a profit. Inter’s Icardi, also 23, is the fall-back option.
United are also said to have asked Juventus about Paul Pogba and left-back Alex Sandro but been put off by asking prices of £116million (€150m) for each.
Or Does He Want This Lot Instead?
The Daily Telegraph, meanwhile, says Mourinho is expected to make Zlatan Ibrahimovic one of his first signings as United manager as the Sweden striker prepares to leave Paris Saint-Germain.
Ibrahimovic has a good relationship with Mourinho and has already turned down a lucrative offer to move to the Chinese Super League in order to play at least one season in England before moving to the MLS.
The 34-year-old has apparently been asking for a salary equivalent to the £300,000 after tax he earned at PSG, but United are willing to meet his demands.
The newspaper says Mourinho wants a centre-half, at least one midfielder, a right-sided forward and a striker, listing Stones, PSG defender Marquinhos and Real Madrid forward James Rodriguez as potential targets, though João Mário is also mentioned as having been watched.
David de Gea is expected to stay, it is said, but the Telegraph joins The Guardian in suggesting Juan Mata could be sold by Mourinho for a second time.
Man City Set To Sign Gundogan
Manchester City are expected to complete the signing of Ilkay Gundogan this week in a deal worth an initial £20.1 million, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Gundogan has been ruled out of action until September with a dislocated knee cap, but incoming City boss Pep Guardiola has asked the club to push ahead with a deal for the Borussia Dortmund midfielder anyway.
Talks are expected to be finalised with Dortmund and Gundogan’s representatives in the coming days, it is said, with the final fee potentially reaching £21.6 million depending on the 25-year-old’s success at the Etihad Stadium.
- Jose Mourinho will be given £200million to spend by Manchester United and has identified John Stones, James Rodriguez, Marquinhos and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang as key buys (Daily Mirror)
- Jose Mourinho was paid £4million by Manchester United not to take a job elsewhere while they decided the future of Louis van Gaal (Daily Mail)
- Ryan Giggs is ready to say goodbye to Manchester United after 29 years at the club (The Sun)
- Arsenal are reviving their bird for Argentina starlet Maxi Romero but have cooled their interest in Inter Milan’s Mauro Icardi (Daily Mirror)
- Liverpool are ready to swoop for Hoffenheim’s Germany Under-21 defender Niklas Sule (Daily Mirror)
- Leicester City want Southampton striker Shane Long as they plan their Champions League campaign (Daily Mirror)
- Adrian Mariappa is facing showdown talks over his future at Crystal Palace (Daily Mirror)
- Burnley could turn to Charlton goalkeeper Nick Pope to battle Tom Heaton for his place next season (Daily Mirror)
- Alan Pardew faces a battle to keep Jason Puncheon at Crystal Palace after an explosive Wembley row between the pair (Daily Express)
- Everton are due to hold talks with Unai Emery this week with the Sevilla coach emerging as a leading contender to replace Roberto Martinez at Goodison Park (Daily Telegraph)
- Everton have held talks with Manuel Pellegrini as they step up their search for a new manager (Daily Mail)
- David Moyes is in talks with Aston Villa and considering a return to management in the Championship (Daily Telegraph)
- Roberto Martinez is the man Derby County’s players want as their new boss (The Sun)
- Bolton Wanderers are ready to give Peter Reid their vacant manager’s job in a double act with Kevin Phillips (The Sun)
- Uwe Rosler is wanted at Brentford by the club’s new German owners (The Sun)