Louis van Gaal will be offered a new role with Manchester United and Juventus are now open to selling Man Utd target Paul Pogba. Va...
Louis van Gaal will be offered a new role with Manchester United and Juventus are now open to selling Man Utd target Paul Pogba.
Van Gaal To Move Upstairs?
Manchester United will offer Louis van Gaal a role upstairs in order to see out his three-year deal according to reports on Friday.
The Dutchman will be given a director of football role at Old Trafford and leave next summer – fulfilling his contract, according to The Sun.
Executive-vice chairman Ed Woodward is a supporter of Van Gaal, despite United’s fifth-placed finish in the Premier League, and he wants the 64-year-old to remain at the club, although he now “accepts there has to be change now in the managerial seat with Mourinho available”.
The report claims United were in contact with Mourinho almost immediately after he was sacked by Chelsea in December 2015 and “those lines of communication have stayed open”. And according to the tabloid the pair are “good friends” after working together at Barcelona.
Juve ‘Open To Pogba Sale’
Juventus are “open to the sale of Paul Pogba” this summer, according to reports.
One Word Sport claim that Juve have asked Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, to find the €80million-rated France midfielder a new club.
Barcelona were believed to be favourites to sign the 24-year-old powerhouse, but the Catalan club’s priorities are believed to have changed with Neymar’s new contract and the demand for a new centre-back. Juve were apparently promised €80million for Pogba last summer on the proviso he stayed in Serie A and moved ahead of the 2016/17 season.
Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United have all “made overtures” to Pogba, but the report claims only United and PSG have made “firm offers”.
Juventus are believed to have approached Valencia’s Andre Gomes as a replacement for Pogba, who is chasing a €12m after-tax salary, should he decide to move on.
- Christian Benteke has demanded make-or-break talks with Jurgen Klopp – and insists he will not be the only Liverpool player wanting to know whether he has a future at the club. (Mirror)
- Tottenham are interested in signing Franco Vazquez from Palermo as they look to strengthen their squad ahead of a Champions League return. (Mirror)
- Arsene Wenger is preparing to go British this summer with a string of squad reinforcements. He is eyeing Celtic’s teenage left-back Kieran Tierney and has already made a £3m offer for Bolton’s England U21 international defender Rob Holding.
- Paris Saint-Germain are the latest team to join the race for Santos ace Gabriel ‘Gabigol’ Barbosa. (Sun)
- Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Granit Xhaka is heading to London in order to finalise his Arsenal move, according to close friend and journalist Artan Muhaxhiri. (Sun)
- Paris Saint-Germain are the latest team to join the race for Santos ace Gabriel ‘Gabigol’ Barbosa. The Brazilian forward, dubbed the ‘new Neymar’, is a wanted man after scoring seven goals in 18 appearances this year. (Sun)
- Chelsea’s Tomas Kalas looks set to return to Middlesbrough on a permanent deal. (Sun)
- Southampton have stepped up their attempt to land Anderlecht midfielder Dennis Praet, but face stiff competition from Leicester. (Sun)
- Frank de Boer claims he has yet to decide his future, despite being linked with Everton. (Star)
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has reportedly requested an ambitious swap deal with Fiorentina for Josip Ilicic. (Star)
- Andreas Pereira has hit out at Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal for failing to give him more playing time after blocking a January move away. (Star)
- Arsenal target Henrikh Mkhitaryan has reportedly rejected the chance to extend his contract with Borussia Dortmund. (Star)
- Southampton expect Victor Wanyama to leave the club this summer, according to reports. (Star)
- Jurgen Klopp wants to sign six players in a £50m transfer spree following Liverpool’s Europa League heartbreak. (Express)
- Chelsea will battle Premier League rivals Arsenal and both Manchester clubs for Juventus striker Alvaro Morata this summer. (Express)
- Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew will sign a new four-year contract before the FA Cup final. (Daily Express)
- West Ham are considering making an ambitious move for Leicester striker Jamie Vardy, 29. (Daily Mirror)
- West Brom boss Tony Pulis is considering an ambitious move for West Ham striker Enner Valencia. (Telegraph)
- Chelsea have joined Arsenal in expressing an interest for Alvaro Morata, while also exploring the possibility of re-signing Romelu Lukaku. (Telegraph)
- Jurgen Klopp will start rebuilding his Liverpool squad by signing Leicester’s teenage left-back Ben Chilwell, 19. (Daily Mirror)
- The Liverpool boss is also close to completing the signing of £4.7m goalkeeper Loris Karius, 22, from former club Mainz. (The Guardian)
- Arsenal are ready to give a contract extension to 24-year-old England midfielder Jack Wilshere, who has just returned from a 10-month injury lay-off. (Telegraph)
- Liverpool defender Kolo Toure, 35, does not know whether he will be offered a new deal when his contract expires next month. (Liverpool Echo)
- Everton are considering signing 21-year-old Bologna goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, who spent part of his teenage years at Manchester United, as a replacement for the departing Tim Howard. (Daily Mail)
- The Toffees, without a manager since Roberto Martinez was sacked, are also scouting 21-year-old Club Brugge defender Bjorn Engels. (Liverpool Echo)
- Retiring Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta, 34, is set to be offered a coaching role at Manchester City by incoming manager Pep Guardiola. (Manchester Evening News)